Wednesday, July 11, 2007

More then meets the eye

Yesterday my company sponsored a little movie outing. Being the geeks that we are, we went to see 'Transformers'. Oh sure, the company was also sponsoring a sneak preview of the new Harry Potter movie as well, but that one was for customers only. HOW SUCKY!

Even though I wasn't excited about seeing a moving about alien robots who can take the form of vehicles, I went anyway since I actually really missed being part of something bigger then me and my living room couch. I of course asked if I could go to the Harry Potter movie instead, but I was encouraged to stick to the plan and leave the customers alone. Plus they might ask me work related questions and what fun is that at the movies?

I grew up with an older brother and there were plenty of days were I was out in that dirt pile with him pushing hot wheels around, and of course he had a few transformers in the mix. I know the theme song to the cartoon from back in the day, so we must have watched it. And I know the general premise to the storyline... yes, yes, I am a girl geek.

Well, surprise surprise.... the movie was pretty fun. Sure the plot was hokey, and the 2.5 hour run time was a little long, but it was actually pretty entertaining, in a geeky, throw back to the 80's sort of way. I think filling the theater with 80 of my brainy, co-workers also gave the mood of the theater a care free, go ahead and make comments if you want, light hearted fun time, sort of feel. As in all action flicks, there was the obligatory boy gets girl bit, which was totally forced. There were some cool special effects, some bad humor bits, some pretty funny ones too, and the closing 15 minutes were full of cheese. Mostly the movie was entertaining, but I was disturbed by the attack and military involvement in the middle east, and then the later attack and military action in a city setting. Although the whole premise of the movie was VERY fictional, seeing the military sequences were a little too close to home. At least the extras who were running around screaming in the city were REALLY fake and poorly done, so that dumbed up the realness of it.

And of course at the end of it all, all of the guys I saw the movie with were dissecting the details of the movie the whole bus ride back to the office. I wouldn't be surprised if the discussion continues today in the office.

I don't know if I'd pay money to see it, but I'm glad I went.

7 comments:

J said...

Sometimes the scenes of war or terrorism or whatever can ruin a movie for me, because they just feel too close to home. :( Helps to leave your brain at home when you go to the movies, but that's not always possible.

Ted said...

I've heard good and bad on this movie. But it seems the good is outweighing the bad 'cause this movie has been #1 for a couple weeks now, right?

Gina said...

I never was into the Transformers, although Hubba-hubba totally was as a kid, the theme song and everything.

I'm holding out for Harry.

Beenzzz said...

I've been hearing good things about this movie. I remember watching Transformers with my brother back in the 80's as well! I think I might have to break down and see this flick!

ML said...

Glad you enjoyed the movie. I remember watching the show on tv.

Anonymous said...

I missed the whole Transformers thing. I didn't even know there was a movie coming out. I imagine my hubby will want to see it, but I know that he'll wait for Netflix, the price of movies being what they are. It sounds like it might be worth a look-see by me, the sissy girl.

Unknown said...

I was thinking of seeing the movie. I am embarrassed to say this, but I was a huge Transformers fan when I was a kid. I grew up with brothers and only male cousins and for some reason, all the kids who lived near us were mostly boys! I was into the whole He-Man, WWF, Transformers thing back then. My first Transformer was "Bumblebee", the yellow VW bug.

Seeing that I now live on an island where the nearest movie theater is a 2 hr drive from here, I don't know if I'll see Transformers just yet. There are a couple other movies I want to see more. We'll see...