Friday, July 13, 2007

Dryer Troubles

Being the multi-tasker that I am, I often run the washer or drying while we sleep. The main benefit being that it is the coolest time of the day so the dryer isn't making the upstairs sweltering hot.

Well last night we were laying in bed getting ready for a lovely night of sleep, when suddenly there was a loud bangady bang coming from the laundry closet. It sounded just like when the washing machine gets out of balance, except I wasn't running the washing machine.... it was the dryer.

CRAP!

Just to make sure we really killed it, we tried to turn it on again, and yup, it's dead.

Deep down I've been wanting it to die as it came with condo, and it's old and only has one setting.... REALLY FREAKIN' HOT! I'm sure Eric won't let us simply go out and buy a new one, so I'll look into repairing it. It sounded like a belt has come loose, so it may be a simple repair, but I'm not going to call a repairman as I'm betting that will cost more then the machine is worth. I guess I'm going to be putting on my handy-chick hat this weekend.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you going to try and fix it? Wow I am impressed. I envy people are mechanically incline. You go girl..

J said...

Ack! Our dryer went out a few weeks ago, too...but it was the little sensor somewhere in there, which cost $150 to fix. It was still turning, just not getting hot.

Good luck!

Beenzzz said...

I hope you can fix it (wink, wink :) I know what you mean about Eric not wanting to go out and get a new dryer. Derrick is the same way! Our washer went kaboom a few times in the past and he was able to fix it. It did it again about 2 weeks ago and he couldn't fix it. I was sort of relieved! We have a nice new washer now.

Unknown said...

My husband is much like yours with regard to this matter. Hopefully you guys can get it repaired...and hopefully it won't cost toooooo much to do so ;)

Love Bears All Things said...

Dryers usually wear out first. I think in 40 years of marriage, we've had 4,maybe 5. We are only on our second washer, though. Over the years, we've done quite a bit of repair work. Timers, belts, heating elements. I hope your repair solves the problem or not depending on what you really want. I wouldn't run either machine while sleeping as things can go wrong such as overflowing and overheating. I've had these things happen so I know.