Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Making some changes

I'm considering changing things up a little around here. Taking comfort, emotions and effort into consideration, my closet and appearance may be taking a turn soon.

For the past 6 months or so, I have been restricted to how I cut and color my hair, based on how I wanted to wear it for the wedding. My hairstylist worked with the woman doing my wedding day hair so there was no bang trimming or fun coloring to be done leading up to the wedding.

But today... today I get to do whatever I want (cut wise). Go short? Layers? Bangs? Or go for my basic slight trim and let it hang there look. It's finally to a length that I think is fun, young and kinda sexy, but do I hear the words of Stacey and Clinton in my ears? "Age Appropriate" Is it flattering? Appearances do matter. "Dress not for the job you have, but the job you want". Shouldn't I be taking some time on my appearance every morning, or should I continue with my run out the door with wet hair look.

Since the wedding I have been taking a few moments each day to apply a bit of make-up, since I really liked the look my make-up artist gave me (and I now own some of the make-up). Not much, but just a touch to feel a little more girly. Since I don't really dress very girly, I thought a little something would be nice. The guys I work with have finally gotten used to it and no longer ask, "Are you wearing make-up?" So I know change will be noticed, but it won't be made to be too big of a deal after a week or so.

I'm also considering changing up my daily uniform of the jeans, t-shirt and flip-flops too, since the jeans don't really fit anymore with my temporary bump, and I've just been feeling sort of dumpy since I have to wear larger sizes. Moving to maternity pants is depressing, but the saggy jeans are equally upsetting. So, I'm thinking of moving to skirts. It will be shocking I know, but I can still get away with the t-shirts and flip flops. Baby steps!

So what about you out there. Have you ever made that conscience effort to make a change in your appearance? Did it stick? Was it noticed?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, for the New year, No it went back to the old style less than 3 months later. My problem is shoes, I love to wear the pretty ones, but my feel hurt so bad that is make it difficult to walk for a while. So I am stuck with tennis shoes and sensible shoes. It is fun to experiment and try new things, and it makes you feel good most of the times. You go girl....

Tracy said...

Fun! If you make a big hair change, you must post photos! Your flickr photos of our meet up are so much better than any that I have! Fun to see those! If you don't mind, I may add them to my post about our meet up!

Let's talk soon. I need a phone chat catch up!

Anonymous said...

I've made hair changes over the years-- longer or shorter, blonder or darker-- but I change the changes all the time so really what has stuck is my desire for change-- not the styles.

Gina said...

My big changes come with makeup and jewelry, not so much dressing. And really, no one can tell other than me, but that's ok!

I did cut my hair shorter, with layers and I like it much better than when it was really long and all one length.

J said...

I wouldn't worry about age appropriate.. You're fine there. As for skirts, you just reminded me...when I was just pregnant enough that maternity clothes were stupid, but my jeans were too tight, some cute skirts with elastic waists were the PERFECT answer! Grab two or three, and wear those until you've healed from your surgery. It's not that far in the future, so that should hold you.

Yay on makeup. It makes me feel so much more...I don't know what, but it makes me feel that way. ;)

~Donna~ said...

I found myself wanting to be more girly this year and it only intensified with the addition of the Honey to my life. I started with the hair at the beginning of the year, taking better care of it, keeping it trimmed. I love my long curly hair now. Then as I started to lose weight, I started changing the way I dress. I'm still all over the jeans and t-shirt thing, but the jeans fit better (hello - can you say stretch jeans?) and the shirts are form fitting but not too tight and no longer baggy. I am adding skirts to the wardrobe now. And since April when the Honey entered the picture, I seem to have added a few lower cut v-necks to the mix...overall, the changes are slow and small..and since I like them, I'm keeping them...until I change my mind of course...

~Donna~ said...

Oh, and J is right. Don't worry about age appropriate. "They" say women my age shouldn't have long hair. But, it suits my hair, my lifestyle and it suits me, so pah on "them". Do want you feel comfortable with...

Karen MEG said...

After I hit 40, and being home with my baby and 5 year old, I began dressing a lot more casually, a lot younger, grew my hair long and discovered a flat-iron (it's the longest it's been since university) and I've coloured and highlighted it - and cut some bangs! People have noticed, and I've gotten a lot of comments, especially from former co-workers who I see every few months. They said they wouldn't recognize me unless they came up close. Best of all, hubby likes the changes.
I'd say have fun and go for it! Skirts are actually great, comfy and stylish.

Anonymous said...

When I started my current job, I used to "dress up" by wearing dress pants and a nice button up shirt.

However, as one year turned into two, I dress down more often than not. You know, jeans, t-shirts, unfancy shoes...I'm not sure if I'm dressing for the job I want, or I have simply accepted my lot and am dressing for the job I have. :-)

ML said...

Good for you in making changes that make you feel good! :)

I make a few subtle changes here and there, but no one seems to notice much. But as long as it makes me feel good, then that's what matters.

Unknown said...

Awesome post, Cherry! I always feel that a great haircut and a little pampering...along with a little shopping for a few new articles of clothing, shoes and accessories, always gives me a little pick me up.

I was laughing when you mentioned Clinton and Stacey. I sometimes think that I'd love to purposefully look horrible so that I can get on the show! Now, THAT would be fun! LOL! Well....I dunno. They can be a little mean sometimes! LOL! I love What Not to Wear!