Monday, February 05, 2007

No More Green Yarn

So as you've no doubtly noted, I've been in a bit of a stuck place. Depression, stress, procrastination, yadda, yadda, yadda. Unfortunately it is a topic that is very on my mind because, well, it's kinda stopping me from being very productive in my life, work and just being. I am soooo freakin tired about writing about it though, but if I don't write about it, does that mean I'm not being honest with myself? Eh? So there, I mentioned it, it's been documented and now I shall move on with my day.

So this weekend I made a grave mistake. I bought yarn and needles for 2 more knitted projects before I was finished with my current one. Gasp! I KNOW! I have had to stop myself from doing just this for the last week, because I'm growing slightly tired of the baby blanket which I have taken on. This blanket is also stressing me ever so slightly because the baby it is a gift for, is due in a month. I know the baby will be a baby for a little while after that, so really receiving a gift of a blanket will be completely fitting if received a month or so later. But I might pull my hair out, if I only work on this same green yarn, though soft and pretty, and this same pattern for a whole month.

I am quite proud of myself with this blanket though. It is my 3rd project and my first with a pattern, and I'm on my 3rd out of 7 balls of yarn. I have estimated that I must complete 8 rows a day to finish it by March, and I'm no speed knitter so 8 rows takes me over 2 hours, assuming I don't have to stop and fix anything (which I've had to do almost every day for the last few days).

The biggest bonus with making this blanket right now is that it is keeping my lap nice and warm on the cold mornings while I ride the train. Perhaps I'll take a day or two off to give me a break and work with some other pretty... non-green yarn. Maybe a quick scarf so I can feel a little more sense of accomplishment.

Oh, and while on the topic of knitting... the doctor said I have inflamed tendons which are causing the pain and numbing tingling sensation. So resting more often, doing more stretches and being able to knit with my elbows resting on something is totally helping. Taking about 6 days off from it helped... but totally put me behind!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You will have to post pictures of the pretty blanket when you have completed it. You know yard is on sale right now, so you could not help yourself from buying, cause it is a good deal for future projects.

Anonymous said...

Being able to knit is so cool. I can crochet, but can't knit-- two needles are too much for me. Yeah you.

J said...

Yay Cherry! Glad there was a solution there. Never mind on knitting a blanket for my sister's baby...WAY too much work for a kid you'll never even see! ;)

ML said...

I can totally understand the purchase of additional supplies before the current project is finished.

Why does the above statement sound so formal? That's so not like me :) It must be Monday or something. Let me rephrase: not a prob buying stuff for other things if you're not done with the other thing :) I do that ALL the time until my sewing room looks like someone blew up a fabric store in there.

Have fun with yor blankets. They sound so adorable. I bet they'll be perfect!

Gina said...

It would have driven me crazy too, to work on the same project. That is one of my biggest flaws, I think. I have a tendency to do that.

And, just to prove that my comments are NOT all about me, I'm glad that you and your doctor have figured out a way for you to continue knitting. But, I am sorry that you are still stressing...

Tracy said...

Don't put too much pressure on yourself with the green blanket. If it's not done by the time the baby is born, it can be a "Happy 1 month or happy 2 months old Birthday gift!"