Thursday, January 18, 2007

Chilly Tushy

Most everyone has noticed that the weather in our respected areas of the world is just not what it usually is this time of year. Here in Northern California, it is cold. Way colder then a normal winter. And it's been pretty dry, which adds to the chill factor since we haven't had much rain to warm things up.

It is known that buildings in this area are not well insulated. Even though we have really hot summers, builders of the 70's and earlier just didn't insulate like they do today, so this winter, heaters have been running almost non-stop.

One area of each building I've been in over the last month or so that is so incredibly cold is...the Bathroom (or Restroom if you prefer I write more gentile-like). I fist noticed it in my office building with the ladies room which has a wall of window glass (frosted of course) and I figured the chill was due to heat lose through the window, but I've noticed the excessively chilly porcelain in almost any bathroom I've had the pleasure of visiting this winter.

Has anyone else noticed this design flaw most likely put together by a man? Is this just a specific design in this normally warmer area of the world? Or is this really the norm and my tushy is suddenly more sensitive to the chills of winter?

7 comments:

~Donna~ said...

It's not just you. Every winter I go through that at home (outside walls) but not so much at work (interior location). Spencer just laughs whenever I go at home, because he can hear me squeal with shock when I sit. Lovely, just lovely.

Gina said...

That seems to be a popular feature for women's restrooms! I'm sure the men don't feel it as much if it's cold in their bathroom as, ahem, for the most part they don't have to pull down their pants!

ML said...

Me thinks gina is right. Men probably don't notice it as much seeing as how they can perform some bathroom functions fully clothed. It's not fair!

J said...

Hey Cherry, I've noticed at a few houses around here that have the nice new windows, they are warmer than ours, even though they keep their thermostats lower than we do. Is your house warm enough at a setting of maybe 65? We have ours set at 72 much of the time, and it's still cold downstairs. We need to get the darned windows. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Where I work, it's blazing hot in my office, but the restrooms are pretty evenly heated. But our house was freezing (downstairs, of course) during the freeze.

Beenzzz said...

Col toilet seats are the worst. It's so uncomfortable!!! Makes you wish you were a dude and could stand up!!!

Tracy said...

*brrr*

Maybe you can knit a toilet seat cozy! ;)

The photos of your knitting are great! Very even stitches!