Saturday, September 08, 2007

Someone come beat me over the head, but not with a book please?

As I mentioned right down there, I have been hit with some sort of Reading Rock and can't seem to stop. Of course this is a wonderful turn of events as I usually struggle with reading as it takes me so darn long as I have to say every single word in my head in order for me to absorb it, but that is getting faster with practice. The issue is that I LOVE to read in bed. That is where I can prop myself up with tons of pillows so all of my tender spots don't hurt so much, and I don't get a crick in my neck like I do when I sit on the couch.

So this causes a not so great side effect... I'm not going to sleep until sometime in the AM!

Last night, Eric pulled an all nighter as he had to prepare for a client meeting bright and early this morning, and I HATE to go to sleep when he's not there so I picked up a new book and started in on it. The next thing I knew I was half way through the book and Eric was no where about ready to come to bed, and I soon found myself dosing off. It was likely about 3am when I removed my glasses, but for some reason didn't turn off the light.

But then the worst thing about reading and filling it with stories before going to sleep... I had very active and stressful dreams. At some point, Eric found that I had fallen asleep with the light on and turned it off. I suddenly awoke in a panic and started frantically yelling for him. I know I had been dreaming, but I don't know what it was about and I found myself sweating and I had tears in my eyes. Thankfully Eric took the time to lay with me and calm me down so I could go back to sleep.

A few hours later, Eric came in to kiss my forehead as he had to leave for an early morning drive into San Francisco to present his work to a client. I was exhausted and still felt this all over frantic feeling, but I was awake and couldn't go back to sleep.

So now I sit here, REALLY wanting to pick up my book to finish it, but I just can't shake this icky feeling. Perhaps a short walk outside (which I still haven't done alone since my surgery and should probably get over that hurdle), and then maybe lay down for a nap with my lovey when he returns from his meeting, as I'm sure he is going to be exhausted. Man! My shoulders are practically at my ears. Relax girl! Relax!

9 comments:

J said...

Ack! I hope you're feeling more calm and relaxed by now. I remember when Ted first started working the early morning shift, I would wake up SURE someone had broken into the house, and all I wanted to do was to hide...but I was afraid if I did, the bad guy would find Maya first, so I had to at least check to see if I was alone. Horrid nights/early mornings, which led to many a very early am blog post.

Sigh.

Tracy said...

Awww. Sweet that E laid down next to you as you dozed off after your stressful dream.

So glad your love of reading has returned!

xo,
Starshine

Unknown said...

Wow! Hope you're feeling rested, calm and relaxed now. You've got such a sweet hubby! Nice that he stayed with you until you fell asleep again :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that the book you're reading really sparked some unsettling dreams.

Maybe a little outdoor time will do you good. And then you can get back to your book. :-)

ML said...

Sorry about the bad dreams :( How are you doing today? Better I hope.

Beenzzz said...

I know how you feel. Whenever I get into a book, I will read it into the wee hours of the night, dream about it, and wake up a zombie. I hope you finally got some decent sleep though!

Karen MEG said...

Hope you're feeling a bit easier, it is disconcerting and really weird to wake up from a bad dream sometimes. I usually need some reading material before I fall asleep but these days, it's more magazines, so I don't have to think too much in my sleep! I can never read a murder mystery if I'm home alone.

Autumn's Mom said...

I've been having some unsettling dreams after watching the DVD set of Heroes. I hope they are gone now. I read yesterday, but all I had energy for was a good trashy novel. Which was good. Now today, my eyes hurt. I strained my little eyeballs.

Ginger said...

I try not to read books that stress me and cause anxiety and loss of sleep. I read, afterall, to relax and escape. I'm sorry that your new found reading has took this turn.