Thursday, October 30, 2008

Creative De-stressing

It has been well established that I'm a worrier. With that we can safely say I tend to get overwhelmed. All of this is not helped by the fact that I am a perfectionist.

This past week, there were a few days which found me a little crazed. Not generally the whole day, but little spurts through the day and often right before bed time. Work is what appears to be the trigger and is what has been on my mind lately. Insomnia has kicked in and I have wished I had some sleeping pills to help me stay asleep. I have the kind of insomnia where I fall asleep hard for about an hour or two and then I am woken up by worry. I've written about it a number of times in the past and it's clear this is my stress sleep pattern.

This week I have almost dreaded each night as I fear it will be filled with frustrations of not being able to get back to sleep. I try getting water. Doing some stretches. Petting a cat. Changing sleeping locations (aka the Couch). The only thing that works is Eric rubbing my back, which means I have to wake him up to help me sleep. Seems a little selfish to me, so this is usually my last resort!

About mid-week I realized something interesting during my commute. I have quite a number of knitting projects to finish for the holidays so any spare moment I have is being used on them, so instead of driving or working on the train, I've been knitting. I found that the days which I knit, I can sleep no problem. And the nights where I haven't been able to sleep, which leaves me agitated in the morning, I am able to knit away the sleep deprived grouchiness and have a genuinely good day. This is making a very good case for making sure I take the train into work. Possibly an even better case then the whole environmental impact bit.

Maybe with all of this stress, and then de-stress knitting, I'll actually get all of my gifties completed before the weather warms up (unlike last year).

3 comments:

Tracy said...

Happy knitting! Maybe the knitting is good because it lets you disassociate from regular life stresses to be able to process your day. In any case, if it helps, that's great!

xo

J said...

I'm not a knitter, but the knitters I know all say it's very therapeutic. Like Starshine said, it helps to process the day, and double bonus if you're accomplishing your gifty goals AND helping yourself sleep at night!

Ted said...

Part of knitting is the single minded focus on it. It tunes out all that other stuff you've been thinking about all day. I have a similar problem with sleeping in that, I'm wide awake at 2:30am if I don't exercise that day. It happened this morning, and that tells me I've got to get on my bike and stop reading blogs. :-)