Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A SAHD's first venture into preparing dinner

So last night my husband wanted to cook us a yummy dinner as part of his new SAHD responsibilities. He called me at work to find out what time I'd like dinner to be ready ideally. He's still new to the world of multitasking which cooking a multi-dish dinner takes... ok so he's still new to cooking in a timely manner in general but that's not the point I'm trying to make. Takes practice you know. Throw in learning constant new tricks to take care of a quickly growing baby and you've got a good time.

The dinner turned out awesome, even if we did have to reheat it in the microwave since SOMEONE wouldn't stay asleep long enough for us to sit down to eat and we ate around 10:30pm, but again, not the point I wanted to make.

He put his sights on making brussels sprouts, mashed potatoes and lamb chops. The Brussels sprouts were roasty and not at all bitter. They were pan roasted with BACON FAT, bits of crispy bacon and caramelized onions. This was more of a holiday kind of dish and yes I think I'll ask him to make them for Thanksgiving this week. He seared off the lamb chops in the cast iron pan, and they came out a little (very) rare. Practice... he needs more practice. But then comes the mashed potatoes....
We were out of butter, or at least enough to REALLY make mashed potatoes so he substituted cream cheese. I love him.
THAT's THE POINT I'M TRYING TO MAKE.
That is all.

1 comment:

J said...

ERIC IS KING!!!

That is all. (except to say that I am thankful to have such a king in my house as well, and that I fully sympathize with the difficulty of getting any meal at all, even Hamburger Helper, on the table while watching babies, and a meal such as yours is far more amazing still. KING.)